Pool salt calculator: How much salt to add to your saltwater pool system
To determine how much salt you need to add to your saltwater pool system, you can quickly input the parts per million needed using this salt calculator and find out how many pounds you need to buy in just a few steps.
Before you start calculating how much of a chemical you need to add to your pool, though, I do recommend doing a little research to make sure you have all the equipment and chemicals you need to do the required testing. If you are calculating how much salt to add to your pool system, you should buy salt test strips before calculating how much salt to buy. If you are calculating how much chlorine to buy, buy the necessary test kits for pH and all the protective gear and equipment you need for testing the pH before you make your calculations (protective gloves, protective eyewear, 5 gallon buckets and mixing sticks, etc.).
Once you have all of your testing strips and kits you require, as well as any protective gear and equipment you will need to do the actual testing, simply go to your computer and make the easy calculations online.
Steps for Calculating Pool Salt
- Go to the Pool Salt Calculator
- Go to the second tab over on the top of the menu and click on the tab labeled “Salt PPM Calculator”
- Drag the slider under “Pool Gallons” to the size pool you have if the pool you have is 20k gallons or less OR click the checkbox labeled “Click here for pools over 20k gallons” to adjust the slider to a size over 20k gallons.
- Buy salt test strips (of course, you can skip this step if you already bought your testing equipment and gear you needed before you made the calculations)
- Test your pool with the salt test strips to determine your current salt parts per million (PPM)
- Drag the slider under “Current Salt PPM” to the level indicated by your test strip.
- Check your system for recommended salt PPM levels, which vary by manufacturer. A common desired level of salt for saltwater systems is 3,500 parts per million.
- Drag the slider under “Desired Salt PPM” to the level indicated by your salt system recommended salt levels.
- Click “CALCULATE”
- A calculated salt amount will be displayed on the bottom of your screen in the number of pounds of salt to add to your pool (Example: “Add 29 lbs of Sodium Chloride (Plain Salt No Additives) That’s 0.7 – 40 lb bags of salt”).
- Add the calculated amount of pounds of salt to your pool system.
If you need to calculate any other chemical levels, there is any pool chemical calculator you need on poolchemicalcalculator.com. We make it easy to quickly determine how much of a chemical to add to your pool to meet manufacturer recommended levels, based on your test strip results you can do yourself (before and after adding the chemicals).